Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'm changing computers.

As I type this on an older Laptop running a Pentium 4 chip and Window's XP SP2 software, I do so knowing that next week I'll be expecting delivery of a new Apple Mac. Yes, I'm buying a Mac, and here is why.

I was a dedicated Window's user. Having jumped on the bandwagon with DOS, and then Windows 3.1, I am familiar with the Window's products and uses. However, with each OS upgrade and each new computer over the last 20 years or so, I've noticed something. The Operating Systems get more complicated, but you can't do as much. Now, with two machines in the house running Vista, I've had it.

First, the security nonsense. If I clicked on the link, I want to run the program. It's really that simple. I shouldn't have to allow every stupid thing I do. If I turn the security stuff off, then Vista reminds me my computer is vulnerable ever few freaking minutes. Printers, scanners, digital cameras, all have issues with Vista. It's like Microsoft expected you to go out and buy new everything to keep Vista happy. Apple's ad's are funny, and true.

So I'm going to be walking to Mac and checking it out. Starting with the Mac Mini, I'm going to see if it does the things I want to, or if the long problems of software shortages will continue to be a problem. Frankly, all the software in the world that won't run on Vista reliably isn't much use to me. If Mac performs as advertised, not just by the advertisements, but my friends three of whom have recently switched to Mac's swear by them, then I may be saying goodbye to windows for a very long time.

Before you ask what does this have to do with the Conservative theme of your blog, that should be apparent now shouldn't it? A conservative approach is if something works, use it. If it doesn't find something else that will work. A Liberal approach is to stay with something, out of loyalty, even if it doesn't work, because intentions matter. Well, I'm conservative, and I'm going to check out a Mac, to see if it will work for what I need it to do. I'll post my personal experiences here, to see if I can tell you all that Mac's are as useful as I hear them to be.

In a way, it's sort of like watching the foreign car craze of the 1970's and 1980's all over again. The Big Three managed to turn out cars that didn't last, sucked amazing amounts of gasoline, and broke down frequently. In other words, they turned out cars that did everything but allow you to drive them. While Toyota, Nissan nee Datsun, Honda, and the rest, turned out ugly little cars that at least ran reliably, and sucked very little gas by comparison. Again the conservative approach, if it works, use it. My father bought a 1974 Toyota Corolla and drove it back and forth to work for the next 12 years. He never had a real problem with the car, it started reliably, and ran reliably. By the time it was finally retired, it had over 150,000 miles on it, and would have still been running, except for that little problem of being rear ended in an accident and totaled out. It had no frills, no Air Conditioning, AM radio only, for those of you old enough to remember when that was normal.

So since Windows appears to be more trouble than it's worth any more, I'm going to check out a Mac. Conservativism at it's core.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counter