Monday, September 01, 2008

An Open Letter to Bristol Palin

Ms. Bristol Palin,

You don't know me, and I don't know you. I've never met your parents, nor anyone in your family. I've never been to Alaska, and I will probably never see it's beauty except in photographs and on television. I'm just a conservative guy who has only heard of you, and your pregnancy this last weekend and today. I don't think of you as any of the four or five letter words which have been bandied about. I think you're a girl, who has become a Woman, perhaps sooner than we would like, or prefer, but that isn't our choice, it's the Creator's.

Instead, I'd like to tell you that in a way, I admire your courage, and your judgment. Yes, your judgment. I understand you intend to marry the father, whom you love. That indicates that your judgment was sufficient in choosing someone with whom you are more than infatuated with, instead you followed your heart, which is a common activity for the young, and far too rare for those of us who are older. I won't question your wisdom, nor your choices to date, but instead, I would like to offer you best wishes, and hopes for a painless process of bringing this life into the world. You young woman, are the closest thing to God on earth. Only women, can create life, while we men are unable to do more than provide a vital component.

However, I would like to offer this observation. There is more to being a Mother than carrying the child within you. I'm certain you know that, because you have parents who seem to care for you deeply. I'm sure you know how much work is ahead of you, as you're the oldest daughter, and have certainly helped with your younger siblings. I've seen photos of you holding Trig, and I hope your child learns the lessons you obviously have. The lessons of faith, love, and responsibility. I am assuming much of this, admittedly I have no idea of the details, and yet, I suspect it's true, from what I've seen and heard, I'd be surprised if your family is all that different from the rest of us out here in the nation.

Others may seek to insult, demean, and belittle you. I would offer a quote from another intelligent and very special woman. "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt.

When those who don't know you, and don't know the path your feet follow offer insults and demeaning comments, ignore them. They are less than worthless in their opinions. Listen to those who love and care about you Bristol, for their advice, and assistance, is what makes family important. Robert Frost said "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." I believe in your parents, you have a home.

My ego won't let me believe that you'll never read this young Ms. Bristol Palin, however if anyone else does, and decides to cherish life, then my effort is rewarded.

May
God be between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk. An ancient Egyptian blessing according to the TV show Babylon 5. Even if it isn't an old blessing from Egypt, it does convey the prayer I have for you.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counter